How to install VirtualBox Guest Additions in a Lubuntu virtual machine
This tutorial will show you step by step how to install VirtualBox Guest Additions in a Lubuntu or Xubuntu virtual machine.
Guest Additions consist of device drivers and system applications that optimize the guest operating system for better performance and usability.
One of the benefits of installing Guest Additions is that they can give you the option to use your virtual machine in full screen.
How to install VirtualBox Guest Additions in a Lubuntu or Xubuntu virtual machine
1. Open VirtualBox.
2. Start your Lubuntu or Xubuntu virtual machine.
3. Open the terminal.
4. Type the following command:
sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential dkms
5. Press Enter.
6. Type your password.
7. Press Enter.
Note: If you are getting the following errors: Unable to locate package build-essential and Unable to locate package dkms then try the following command:
sudo apt-get install build-essential
8. Click on Devices (located in the top menu of VirtualBox) and then click on Insert Guest Additions CD image.
Now you will see the VBox_GAs_ icon appear on the desktop.
9. Right-click on the VBox_GAs_ icon and then click on Open in Terminal.
10. Type the following command:
11. Press Enter.
12. Type your password.
13. Press Enter.
Lubuntu or Xubuntu will now install the VirtualBox Guest Additions.
14. When the installation is complete you will need to restart your Lubuntu or Xubuntu virtual machine.
Maybe you're also interested in:
VirtualBox has no 64-bit option on Windows 10 (solutions)
VirtualBox top menu missing (not showing)? How to get it back